Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mr Touitou


Fantastic interview with APC's Jean Touitou over at Interview Magazine. But of course it's fantastic. I don't think it would be possible to read a bad interview with Touitou, he always manages to slip in a few thought-provoking gems. 

"Being rich is fine, but there should be a limit to it... For many in this business, if they can make something and multiply it by nine, it’s like having a shot of heroin in the arm, a kick. I don’t have a kick from that. I get off on running the company, making a decent profit, paying people fairly, and having more than a decent life for myself—but that’s it."

I've been thinking a lot recently about the ways in which people approach business. How to do something that works financially whilst staying true to your own values and interacting healthily with others along the way. In other words not being wooed by the big bucks when it's at odds with a healthy lifestyle philosophy. It sounds obvious but I really think it's much easier said than done. Jean Touitou appears to have it sussed. I like that he lets his employees use the A.P.C studio for band practise because he likes seeing amps and music equipment being carried through the office as a reminder of creativity.

I don't have any clear or concrete resolutions for 2012, but chilling out a little bit (tempering the internal monologue and tendency to over think things) is something I'd like to do. Working hard while remaining calm and able to switch off when necessary. So Jean Touitou is my Poster boy for 2012. Along with The Dude.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Great post, loved it! And interesting point to make about the way in which people approach business, it's nice to see different perspectives on things sometimes.

Check out my blog if you like!:

lauradreamsanddresses.blogspot.com

PlainJane said...

What a wonderful world it would be if everyone followed Jean Touitou example. I love the idea that creativity is more highly valued than money. Would be great if he gave some peop talks to all those greedy bankers.

Camille said...

I unfortunately lost some respect for Touitou after reading this: http://out-of-the-bag.blogspot.com/2011/11/et-tu-apc.html

Although I do take his comment with more nuance than I did the first time I read the post (and commented), it's still on the back of my mind whenever I have a look at APC products. It's a bit frustrating, because I'm a big fan of APC, and also because you never know with interviews (if people are misquoted, etc.), but I still can't forget it, ghh.