Tuesday, November 22, 2011

xmas gift guide #1


Breakfast, Lunch and Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose BakeryMarimekko x Comme Des Garcons striped top, Vintage Tortoiseshell Barrette, Zoe and Morgan Love Ring'Pillowtalk' lipstick, TopshopFortnum and Mason Turkish DelightToast tote bag.

I know for a fact that I am 'in the Christmas spirit.' I know it because instead of listening to music to 'get me in the mood' before going to see Aphex Twin on Friday night, I closed my bedroom door and listened to Mariah and Wham. And I thought of George soppily moping on that awful group skiing holiday and then I thought presents. While I fairly often think about the challenge that it must be for features writers at magazines to recreate the same articles each year, the obligatory Christmas Gift Guide is something I will never tire of. They are as exciting as those first whispers of 'Holidays are coming' on the Coca-Cola ads. And if you're lucky, they will come with pleasing titles like 'gifts for the foodie', 'gifts for the creative' or, because it's Christmas and that is when everybody wears sequins and boleros (regardless of the decade) there is also 'gifts for the glamourpuss' so that we may leaf through the pages and actually quite enjoy the self-categorisation depending on how we see ourselves.

Because I enjoy this whole process so much, like the rest of the world and his Uncle I'll be creating my own in the run-up to Christmas. It's not at all a sly ploy to suggest present ideas to my friends all in the name of 'helping other feel inspired' (it is.) Also as part of my eternal loyalty to frugality, I've tried to be mindful of mixing genuinely affordable products with those that are more treaty to avoid it all becoming a shameless fantasy and because saving a few pennies for some pretty ribbon to wrap them in is always nice.

4 comments:

MrJeffery said...

such fun picks! love the striped top.

Anonymous said...

Such a perfect ring. Zoe and Morgan make such lovely jewellery x

The Fashion Duet said...

Love the ideas!

www.thefashionduet.blogspot.com

Chuck said...

Yey, I have two of these! Next stop the Marimekko striped top (I wish).