Thursday, September 08, 2011

that september feeling


I know, I know hankering after all the hallmarks of September and that back to school feeling is a cliche. But it's a cliche for a reason and that synthetic smell of just-photocopied pages, the feeling of a chunky pen on a fresh page and new pencils can't be beaten. This novelty of newness goes hand in hand with new-season excitement in the wardrobe department which lives on long after school days. Even though I am no longer confined to a school uniform, I still see September as an opportunity to add some pieces to my very own personalised uniform. And of course, the perfect homage to That September Feeling has to be the school walk-through scene from Donnie Darko, one of my very favourite film scenes for the synchronised playground dancing, goodboy vs badboy, folders clutched to chests and Tears For Fears soundtrack.


'You Look Really Good Today' Jumper, Markus Lupfer/ Leather Trousers, Topshop/ Cable Knit Socks, Toast/ Adidas Gazelle in purple/ Postalco Notebooks, Brookfarm General Store/ Koss Porta Pro Headphones.

Cashmere Rollneck, Margaret Howell/ Metallic Heel Sandals and Tortoiseshell Barette both Topshop/ Mac Lipstick in Morange/  Aqua PVC Clutch, Christopher Kane/ 'What Would Mozzer Do?' pencils, Classic Sigg Water Bottle, Brookfarm General Store.

11 comments:

blue roses said...

i adore that scene, the movement of the camera, and, of course, the soundtrack... also really love the school scenes from "pretty in pink." more of the prom-end of the year-vibe, not back to school, but james spader in that cream linen suit smoking in the hallway is incredibly sexy.

i've been eying similar pleated dark skirts, and love the translucent shades, beautiful.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Sally said...

Great choices, I want the trainers and headphones! I've definitely got the September feeling, I spent 15 minutes ogling 'back to school' stationery in Paperchase yesterday

Anonymous said...

I think the first day of fashion week is like the first day back to school - everyone has brand new moleskins and lots of new pens.

Ella Gregory said...

SWOON at Jake Gyllenhaal! Love your selection! xx

WendyB said...

I love those crazy sunglasses. I once had a dream about making a piece of Donny Darko-inspired jewelry. It's still on my list of things to do!

Anonymous said...

love love love love

naivebones said...

ooft! I love Donnie Darko!! Lovely blog! xxx

http://naivebones.blogspot.com

Ally said...

I love the back to school feeling, and especially the brand new stationary that goes with it. Also pleated skirts + sweatshirts + sneakers will always be one of my favourite combinations.

Anonymous said...

Like I told you on FaceBook I love the whole post! That scene from Donnie Darko is amazing, and the collages with the clothes and accesories and the pencils... too cute ;)

Lily said...

Just perfect, really. School supplies already make me pretty giddy so this actually really strikes a chord with me. Also I have that MAC lipstick and love wearing it with fuss-free comfy garb--just as you pictured it!

Unknown said...

Spot on!! You've got it so right, the combo of the outfit collages and Donnie clip. I've been feeling nostaligc for that feeling and I graduated from uni 4 years ago now! eek...found the Tears for Tears album on viynl for 50p in Oxfam yesterday too..weird
http://thoughtsandthingsfromthebirdonawire.blogspot.com/