Thursday, March 31, 2011

teenage


I can't wait to see Matt Wolf's 'Teenage', a film currently in production that looks at the teenager over history from the cultural creation to the subsequent youth subcultures that have since followed. Based on Jon Savage's Teenage: The Creation of Youth Culture 1875-1945 (a book I'm now really keen to get my hands on) the film uses archive footage, real life extracts from teenage diaries, and narration from actress Jena Malone to create a single teenage voice spanning and evolving across eras.

Though the film looks at teenagers across the globe I'm particularly looking forward to the archive footage from mid 20th-century America, an era I'm personally interested in. Fingers crossed for clips of Charleston dancing and handsome James Dean lookalikes nonchalantly leaning on Coca-Cola machines! There is a brilliant website to accompany the film which I thoroughly recommend- full of well sourced links to anything from teenage bedroom themed tumblr pages to tips about youth orientated books and exhibitions. The film isn't released until 2012 but I'll be counting down the days, each night in my journal. In loopy handwriting and highlighter hearts just after the entries documenting all of the boys that I love.

4 comments:

Kat said...

oh awesome. Subcultures - teenagers anything like that, I can't get enough of. Looks brilliant.

Anonymous said...

This would have been so useful 6 years ago when I was writing my dissertation on Teenagers in American Film!

Unknown said...

Brilliant! you know when a day just sifts by and you feel like you really haven't read, heared or seen anything worthwhile well this has been my discovery of the day. Thanks for sharing. Is it me or does Jena Malone sound spookily similar to Winona Ryder?

http://thoughtsandthingsfromthebirdonawire.blogspot.com/

Disneyrollergirl said...

Sheeeeet! Didn't know anything about this - thank you!