Wednesday, October 13, 2010

utilising pockets

Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour or so lying with Jim on the grassy bank that lies between each of our halls of residence. With the knowledge that my first wet and windy North West winter is just around the corner, it would be rude not to venture out and enjoy the crisp October sunshine which Manchester has been blessed with this week. We talked about a few things, the fact that the aloof games girls and boys play with each other are tedious but gloriously tantalising too. And our thoughts on Manchester a month after moving here. And tomato ketchup and grated cheddar as a lazy pasta sauce (I was eating it at the time.) And also pockets.

Karen Walker

Jim spoke about how over the past year he's been wearing shirts more and more and that he loves the practicality of having a chest pocket. When he traveled last year he would use it to store his tobacco and a notebook and any little essentials he needed to keep close by. But he feels like too much of a twat to repeat this little storage system when it comes to University, fearing the pretentious 'look, I smoke and I think' image that a notebook in a chest pocket gives off. During the course of this conversation I realised how much I really do love pockets and I suppose that this post has little purpose except to reiterate this. Lovely deep warm pockets big enough to store treasures or frosty fingers in wintertime. This photograph, taken by the brilliant Maya of Turned Out of the Spring 2011 Karen Walker collection only cements this pocket appreciation. Deep and pleasingly square they invite you to leave your handbag at home and carry those few essentials. As somebody who has admitted to having a bit of a Mary Poppins bag complex (see the 'Baggage Analysis' post below) I'm going to take a leaf out of Jim's book and utilise my pockets.

14 comments:

Cassie said...

I always like my shorts, skirts, dresses, pretty much everything I wear to have pockets. My clothes feel strangely naked without them, and even though I know I couldn't, I always wonder if I could somehow build my own pockets into things that don't have them.

Seems like such a little thing, doesn't it? Nice to see some pocket appreciation out there ! ha

www.dressingmissdolly.co.uk

Zara Nugent said...

so true! pockets make everything better! Weird facts as to why I like them so: 1. if I'm feeling awkward I have somewhere to put my hands and I feel less awkward 2. for storing tissues because nobody likes a sniffer and my nose runs a lot

daniela kate morosini said...

those pockets make the dress! mine usually have blackberry in one, travelcard in other - never the same pocket, or the phone wipes the card's magnetic strip!

Devonately said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Devonately said...

I guess pockets are one of those things that people take for granted. You know? Like if you're so used to wearing pocketed clothes and suddenly you're without them, it's really noticeable. Great post.

-Dev

Selina (Flying Saucer) said...

just catching up on my googlereader, glad you're liking manchester!! do you live near owens park, i think i can see it in your room photos! you seriously need to check out fuzion in fallowfield near sainsburys on the tesco metro side, it is the best, biggest, freshest chinese ever and not too pricey!! i would eat there every day if i could seriously!

tess said...

Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon. I must admit, now that I'm abroad in the UK (Edinburgh) I'm really flabbergasted by flirting here! Aloof is the perfect word for it! Just when I think a guy isn't interested he randomly facebook messages me? what gives! It's infuriating, coming from the take charge American attitude where at least you know soon enough whether someone is interested or not.

Just Another Londoner said...

Due to a passing comment made by a friend a few months ago, I now have an aversion to taking a bag with me when I go out of an evening. Works in winter, when I can shove the requisite phone/oyster card/keys etc. into my massive coat pockets, but it becomes a bit problematic in the summer-denim shorts and a tank top don't offer many options for sneaky storage...

meandering experiences said...

dresses with pockets are the only dresses I own. Its all about the pockets

Anonymous said...

I actually gagged at your pasta description!!!

Anonymous said...

pockets give something extra to the outfit I think... I hardly have any outfit without a single pocket...

x

foreignfashion.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Pockets definitely are the lifeline for any garment...
When God gave only two hands to humans...
human knew they couldn't live without pockets!!!
loved your story on pockets

Camille said...

This is unrelated to this post, but have you seen these http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3213666550_590941b15b.jpg ? They're a meeting between sneakers and desert boots and surprisingly pretty awesome, no?

Stylshake- Fashion Dresses said...

loved your story on pockets.