Wednesday, October 27, 2010

life lessons from nina simone

"Take French lessons, go swimming a lot, buy Langston Hughes books, get high, hire a girl once a week to take care of your clothes (sew, clean, organize closets), find a psychiatrist, a Spanish babysitter, take dancing, find shoemaker, write Hazel Scott, find yellow pills, buy books a friend told me about, stop abusing Andrew." -Nina Simone

On the subject of Nina Simone, I always loved this little scene (it starts at 1:10) from Before Sunset in Julie Delpy's pokey Parisian flat. That look on Ethan Hawke's face as he is checking for approval after putting on a Nina Simone CD is such a classic situation! And Julie Delpy's impressions of Nina's audience participation always make me smile.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love Julie Delpy in Before Sunrise/Sunset. That scene is so great! :)

Ally said...

Love all the advice, and feel I can actually tick most of them off except of course for finding a girl to take care of my clothes, I WISH! Instead for me the advice would be to stop procrastinating and do my hand washing/mending hems/altering vintage items I bought 6 months ago. I've never seen Before Sunset, after seeing that clip I know what I will be watching this weekend!

Caitlin, Manchester said...

Lovely post Stevie. Thanks for sharing these two talented and wise women.

Kristi said...

I still want Julie Delpy's blouse in this flick.