Friday, October 22, 2010

fruit loops


While it is said that 'all good things must come to an end', I would like to argue that a year off simply does the trick for the better things in life. Michael Eavis gives the Glastonbury fields a year off out of every five to allow them some R&R and February 29th parties so hard each leap year that it takes 3 years of chilltime just to get back on track. But before I get carried away with statistics and tenuous links it gives me much pleasure to predict that 2011 will be the year in which florals can finally enjoy some downtime, packed away on a high shelf somewhere for a summer sabatical. And filling the pattern void will instead be fruits. Stella McCartney's Spring 2011 citrus prints provided some relief resembling no-nonsense Fruitella sweet wrappers which in my mind signify long car journeys and are quite the opposite of the fizzy florals we've seen in every high street shop for at least 4 years straight. Compared to these bold and leafy watermelon prints the itsy-bitsy florals feel a little silly and simply won't cut it for another summer. I'm looking forward to scouting some big banana prints ala that old See by Chloe top donned by Moss in the picture or attaching a couple of pineapple fridge magnets to a turban headband for some Carmen Miranda style beach headwear. But to be worn in an incredibly austere way, you must understand. Black capri pants and hardy leather sandals and maybe even a slightly inappropriate-for-summer mohair jumper. Think Wednesday Adams, Carmen Miranda and Betty Draper and you're someway there..

6 comments:

Hannah said...

I used to have plastic fruit like that when I was little.. ah nostalgia. I'm very much feeling fruit prints for next spring, makes a refreshing change to all the floral prints we're usually bombarded with.

Ellen Burney said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/may/14/fashion1

my story behind that big bad boy banana .... (circa 2004)

Cara said...

Ah I long for the day when little floral dresses are replaced with little fruity dresses.

Kellie said...

I can't wait to see what people do with this trend come springtime! I've got some fruit-themed accessories lying around that are waiting to come into style!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous collage and I love fruit print. Hopefully we will see it back in the summer collections.

Vindolanda said...

Mmm. Fruit-salad-fashion.