Sunday, January 31, 2010

superspeedy turnaround

[IMG00492.jpg][IMG00493.jpg]

Pretty speedy turnaround time between Paris and Stockholm.
I have spent much of today angering Mother Nature by putting on three loads of washing and rushing into town to pick up Swedish Kroner (which incidentally though not at all surprising is very pretty indeed, who knew?)

Paris was wonderful. Joanna, who I know through my best friend Lily was the perfect travel companion and the flat we stayed in (which belongs to her family) was just what we needed; quintessentially French in that slightly outdated way- walls full of framed maps and shelves full of pottery mugs. We bundled ourselves up each day and braved the cold to see the sights. Come the evening we would retire to the flat, listen to the family's selection of CDs (now converted fan of Scott Joplin and Charles Trenet) drink Gin, eat pasta and apply some red lippie before hitting the Latin Quarter for some drinks. We went to a place called The Wall near Cardinal Lemoine two nights in a row after enjoying ourselves there. We made friends with the guy on the door 'Call me Kemps' and while Joanna puffed away on cigarettes with a guy I had his friends teach me naughty French slang.

Photos to come once I am back from Sweden and have had them developed. This will have been a very exciting couple of weeks for me, and proof to myself that I have done something interesting during my gap year.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations for both of the cities. Sadly, I concluded after Paris that it's not the best city for Vintage (understandable, classic pieces and lots of dark colours seems to be more their forte) though I did manage to pick up this little Rabbit fur hat which I'm wearing in the picture. Sadly can't remember the name of the shop but it was a bit of a gem. Run by a guy called Laurent (naturellement) and just off Rue Saint Antoine (which is the street connecting Rue Rivoli to Place de le Bastille). I have higher expectations for shopping opportunies in Stockholm, though. Ellis is literally peeing herself with excitement over Monki and Weekday (quite right too) though I may have to hold her by the scruff of her neck to prevent her from spending her entire January wages there..
Back at the weekend!

17 comments:

Madeline Veenstra said...

Have fun in Sweden, that's so exciting!

Bi. said...

Stockholm sounds great! :)
Have fun, can't wait to read your new post!

xx, Chic and Chocolate.

Selina (Flying Saucer) said...

ooo don't discount bikbok too- i've picked up topshop-esque things in there that i've worn loads, it's got great leggings and skirts! and before clubbing remember most clubs are over 23, but some if you just show them your id anyway they look at it and then let you in! i think the rule is that if you're turning the right age that year then you're ok? oo and try a fisherman's shot! it's the same brand as the cough sweets and tastes like mouthwash and is always the cheapest shot!! bad but good, like all shots i guess! have a great time xx

hannah-rose said...

you european people with your jet-setting ways! haha im so jealous that in a couple of hours you can be in places like paris and stockholm, i can be in, oh, i don't know, bloody wagga wagga or something (urrghhh country town).

i think i know the shop you're talking about, it's off the rue de rivoli too in the marais? i'm not mad about the vintage in paris either, but we went to this one little shop in the marais and bought up big, i bought a couple of amazing skirts - heavy brocade and so incredible, and my friend bought a motorcycle jacket. your paris trip sounds like the most fun!

have the best time in stockholm, use that kroner wisely - the girl on it is really pretty, i wonder who she is/what she did?

X

Mary Standish said...

Oh, sounds like you had a great stay! I am in Paris for some time, it's great.

I want to know about your Sweden stay, as I am going to Stockholm soon and want to know where to go!

Anonymous said...

One day I will make it to Paris... Enjoy Sweden!

x

f/m said...

Such a jetsetter!!

NY-bound for the shows this month?

Stylestalker said...

what an awesome way to spend your gap year. cant wait to hit paris myself!

Siru said...

I hope you enjoy Stockholm. It's a beautiful, beautiful city.

juliet xxx

Lacey Starr said...

I'm so jealous. Take loads of photos pf Stockholm for us.

Silk Ties & Striped Shirts said...

Lovely post! I love Paris! My favourite city

Anonymous said...

hrose: you wanted to know who the pretty girl on the money is!
The answer is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Lind

Madelene said...

Oh, I have some great memories from nights spent in bars around Cardinal Lemoine.. Hope you had a nice stay in Stockholm!

All Women Stalker said...

I loved how you described the flat. I'm so jealous. :)

Lonesome Mama said...

The pretty girl are a swedish singer, they said she sang like a nightingale and The danish writer HC Anderson was in love with her.

Visit sweden when its wormer next time, its adorable!

Maizie Blake said...

we have family in Sweden, and have visited almost yearly since I was about 3....

the only swedish I know is Hello, Thankyou and "I dont want to go down the escolator backwards"

so I think we all agree, the three most useful phrases to know

Lara Woodbine said...

i have just come across your blog and I think its AMAZING I even went down and looked at all your other posts! :D The name it SO coooool i love it :)

Please check out my blog?
www.fashionalacaprice.blogspot.com


x