Tuesday, January 12, 2010

cinema style: somersault

[somersault+2004.jpg]
[somersault+film.jpg]
[somersault.jpg]

When outside feels a little gloomy- overcast skies and the snow in that in between stage, stubbornly clinging to the ground but dirtied after days underfoot, I think of Somersault. I haven't watched it for a good few years, but the bleak landscape and the Australian winter doesn't look all that different to the view from my window at the moment. It's the perfect film for watching on a winter's night in a big jumper and a pair of knickers, a warm beverage and a thoughtful mood. There's a certain calmness to the film which is very appealing in January. The low-key interiors stick in my mind; bedrooms unchanged since the 70s and Abbie Cornish is fantastic as the peculiar Heidi who roams around in simple knitwear and unkempt wavy hair. The soundtrack from Decoder Ring is beautifully peaceful and a perfect match to the stillness of the film.

Watch it for yourself here
Please note, I recommend you watch with as few other programs in use as possible to prevent your computer being too slow, though you probably didn't need me to tell you that!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i love somersault, but we're not really having the perfect somersault weather here just yet...

Smaggle said...

Oh I love that movie. I'm so glad someone who is not Australian has seen it. The opening scene shows a bar that says 'Accomodation' on the roof and I grew up just opposite that bar! It's my local shops in Kambah, in Canberra. I feel way famous everytime I see that.

Anonymous said...

ONE OF MY FAVOURITES!!! SUCH A TOUCHING STORY-I GET GOOSEBUMPS WHEN I THINK OF SAM WORTHINGTON DESCIBING BEING ABLE TO FEEL HEIDI ON HIS SKIN AFTER SHE HAS GONE....TOTALLY MAKES UP FOR THE AVATAR GLIP!

YOUR BLOG GETS BETTER EVERYDAY


X LUIS

pia said...

this is one of my favorite films!

Ria said...

I'll have to check out this movie.

Jason said...

You have a great blog here. I like reading personal blogs, luckily I found yours today. I have a blog myself which brings inspiration and guidance to people all around the world. Life is hard enough, and I hope that my site can provide even the slightest bit of happiness and guidance to anyone's day.

I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. Please let me know if this is possible. Until then, keep up the good work.

Jason
TheWISDOMWALL.com

hannah-rose said...

oh somersault is just marvellous, and too underrated for sure. you're right about the calmness. stillness and calmness i think. i love abbie cornish!

thanks for your lovely comment, put a real smile on my face. hope you are well lovely!

X

corrie said...

i loved this movie! it was a random one i stumbled upon on netflix. the narrative and main actress were so great.

Francheska L said...

im watching it right now :) thank you for the link. I´v never even heard of this movie

do you have any other movie recommendations??? x

Amy said...

Is it just me or does it cut off the first 10-15 mins of the film? :(