Saturday, January 09, 2010

defining devon aoki

[DEVON+AOKI.jpg]
I've never given Devon Aoki that much thought. I don't know an awful lot about her but it's occured to me that I'd subconciously and perhaps illegitimately placed her into the 'LA party girl' category. In hindsight, I couldn't tell you the basis of these perceptions; maybe I'd assumed she was a model whose previous edgy credentials had dissolved with roles in films like The Fast and The Furious. I just didn't have her down as the type of person to catch my attention or to be my cup of tea but after noticing her in some stand out Numero and Self Service Magazine editorials I've been intrigued.

A sift through her Fashion Spot thread has me scratching my head; I would never have had her down as the owner of an extensive (and enviable) collection of wide leg trousers (from silky coloured shrimp to denim Birkin-alikes) or modestly sexy spaghetti strap dresses.

Part of Devon Aoki's appeal (new found in my eyes..) is her unusual beautiful, and a quirkiness reminiscent of models like Missy Rayder and Guinveire Van Seenus.

This series of photographs by David Mushegain particularly stand out in my eyes; the wide brimmed hats, the 70s utility tunics, floorlength dresses and jumpsuits in Missoni stripes and Birtwell prints are all a feast for the eyes. And a perfect boho vibe for spring that steers clear of the Sienna Miller/Kate Moss associations and instead gives a nod to the past, of the more authentic and clean looks worn by and Michelle Phillips and even Jane Birkin.





images, fashiongonerogue

Check out her Fashion Spot thread:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f52/devon-aoki-32928-95.html

25 comments:

Milk and Honey said...

She is defiantly trying something different by taking her fashion influences from the 70’s when everyone else is in 80’s mode.

Amy said...

I love Devon Aoki because she has a very intriguing and unique face and not to mention that pretty Geisha-like lips with her often sported messy long bed hair. She also has a petite gorgeous teenage body and I love her photos which she is usually captured in abstract ones.

I catagorise with models such as Gemma Ward and Lily Cole.

It's ashame that I don't see much of Devon on catwalks or editorials compared to other big named supermodels.

Apparently Kate Moss introduced Devon to a model agency.

Linnea said...

Love the picture with the red dress!

joy said...

I love Devon A., she has a great spirit that translates to camera...I think.

JD
iplayfaves.blogspot.com

Isabel said...

Oh man, whatever happened to Devon Aoki? I remember she was on the cover of ELLEgirl around 2004...

Ms Polevsh said...

not my fav girl but beautiful pictures! =)

Anonymous said...

Love her! I remember she was one of the more popular models when I first got into fashion. I believe she used to walk for all the big design houses? Nice post!

thimbles and gingham said...

i've never thought much of her either but these photos are brilliant.

Fashion Tidbits said...

she has such a unique face which goes well with both asian and western looks

Francy said...

I love the '70s feel in these photos. So funky/chic. And the last look is amazing.

pixiedrivein.blogspot.com

Zlata said...

she's very pretty!his look is very vintage.

xx

young-shields said...

Ah I literally have a post in progress saved in my drafts on my new love for devon's style! With a collage so similar to your one at the top.

Ha ha! Oh dear. Great minds? And anyway, yours is better. Claire x

All Women Stalker said...

She is one of my girl crushes. Not only does she have an interesting face, she also has a body I envy. I love that she is in more editorials these days.

young-shields said...

Also, regarding your little blog naysayer - to be honest, you know you've hit the big time when someone, somewhere starts dissing your obviously amazing blog. You're livin' the dream, maaan...

xx

lorenzomateo said...

So sexy!!

Anonymous said...

i think she doesn't offer nothing new, but she's gorgeous anyway

KP said...

super gorgeous-loving that missoni jumper xo

Aline Dahl said...

I absolutely adore her. she is just amazing.

Miss Woody said...

she's wonderful!

c a s s i e said...

the picture with the horse is incredible. i love that dress.

A La Mode said...

Wow, she is completely incredible! Thank you, I have a new muse!

ChristingC said...

i love devon aoki! all her editorials are captivating, and her look and style is so unique!


http://fashionhedonism.blogspot.com

EIGHT LONDON said...

I've always been a huge fan of Devon...she has the most incredible, rare face. A true doll.

charleston personal injury lawyer said...

She's gorgeous!! I love her face, and the fact that she's related to Steve Aoki.

Sartoriology said...

she's so beautiful, kind of reminds me a little bit of Rinko Kikuchi