Tuesday, February 17, 2009

acceptable in the 80s

[marc+jacobs+fall+2009.jpg]


what I think I love most about this collection is that it gives a nod the 80's in a perfectly authentic way. it's not an "hey, i'm wearing neon leggings" in-your-face/agyness deyn kind of look, it's more molly ringwalder as claire standish in the breakfast club if she'd got together with john bender, had a few moments of rebellion and then moved to nyc and partied it up with with mr jacobs himself.
the colours pop, and there may even be a little clashing in there too, but they do it without a whisper of nu rave, and in a dignifed way; pairing that shimmering mustard yellow dress with a large cocoon coat.

the hair and make up is amazing, taking us from ivanka trump to grace jones, and madonna to joan collins.
i can see these pieces shaping up very well as red carpet looks. take them apart a little, rub off the runway sheen and choose just one piece and it'll be a great look. the 80s shaped dresses get my pick because they're a shape that is outdated enough to be daring and exciting rather than nostaligic for the sake of it.

[marc+jacobs+fall+2009+2.jpg]


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3

My favorite has got to be the black one with the poofy mini skirt.

molly said...

that was one of the best comments i've ever received.
you've always been one of the bloggers i've looked up to the most, so its an honour that you enjoyed my archives so much! i've been doing the same for you and now i feel so inspired, i must go raid my closet and see if i cant put together some stylish outfits!

jeanie annan-lewin said...

i swear to god he stole that pink dress from me i have it at home its amazing I heart him so much it actually physically hurts.

Anonymous said...

stam's dress is such a winner!!
have loved your blog for ages now, only just got round to commenting as i'm a new blogger! x

young-shields said...

i am really so in love with this collection. marc is so on form!

y-s x

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love how luxe that yellow velvet looks.

jessica said...

marc's quote about new york .. i wonder if it's true ? i mean i wouldn't know, as i've never been, and evidently wasn't around in the eighties ...
but if it's true, and everyone says it , that sucks .


x

Jennie said...

This rocks from start to finish!

Juliet said...

so true, and the thought of the 80's is quite exciting, i haven't seen many vivid pinks on the runway that often, but marc jacobs has brought it in well, making the brights dominating his collection.

Love your blog.
http://herinfluences.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

yep. i'm in love with it

Anonymous said...

Loved the inspiration & LOVED what Carine was wearing, I want that coat!x

Anonymous said...

so cool. I like how he did a take on the 80s, kind of brings back nostalgia and makes you have to love the collection.

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

I like the colors idea, the bright vibe and the fun. Anyway, I think the overall wasn't very creative, Marc could do it soo much better

said...

I love this collection. I'm on an eighties kick right now [one that started about four or five years ago hehe] and though I can do without the colours, I definitely like the shapes, especially the pair of purple trousers...

A. said...

the 3rd, 7th & 9th models hair all look very rosheen murphy-esque.

& that 6th girl looks like a grace jones reincarnation (!)

i must say though that overall, its a bit too costume-y for me. & the colours, well...i dont like colours much, do i?

x

beck&madi said...

loved this collection. mostly for the hair.

http://showusyourblog.blogspot.com

chloe said...

wow, it is rather lovely isnt it?
it does make me think of a 'new york' look, a bit disco-ish and eccentric
kisses! x

Anna Pope said...

I really enjoyed the collection, the colors are beautiful!