Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Industry Insider; Taylor Tomasi

[taylor+tomasi.jpg]

My ears prick up and I go hawk-eyed when contributors or the fashion elite start talking about their jobs. It's the same nosily intrigued reaction that has me drooling over stranger's houses...

Taylor Tomasi, walking style inspiration and Accessories Director at Teen Vogue, talks to teenvogue.com about her job, and shares plenty of insight.

I am always on the lookout for cool, interesting accessories to include in the magazine. I attend all the major fashion shows in New York and Europe, which is where I spot new trends and come up with story ideas. Outside of Fashion Week, a typical day starts early, as I jump between showrooms to pick out all the accessories used in our photo shoots. I have an average of 15 to 20 appointments per day and pull anywhere from 200 to 300 accessories for each shoot. I head back to the office in the afternoon to sign off on paperwork, check credits for stories, organize accessories that have come in, and work with the stylists on upcoming shoots.


I have a Bachelor of Industrial Design degree from Pratt Institute. My first internship was at W magazine, in the accessories department, which led to a full-time position. I eventually became the fashion-market editor there and assisted Alex White, Fashion Director of W, on all her shoots, which really helped me to understand the full scope of market work. Then I became the senior fashion editor at Teen Vogue, before finally switching back to accessories.

My best tip for jump-starting a career in fashion is to take an internship very seriously—and if you love where you are working, try to stay there as long as possible. Showing initiative may lead to something more. Working in fashion, however, is not always as glamorous as what you see on television. It's a very demanding, high-stress environment—but if you thrive under pressure, it may be the perfect fit for you.

19 comments:

Chantelle said...

oh how i love inspiring, yet straight forward advice.
=D
she's wicked cool

home girl said...

ohhh am feeling tempted to swap my summery playsuit for all that wonderful layering. love the contrast with the 90's floral and the tuff boots. she is gorgeous and what a great job - would happily run out on the children for that kind of environment!! btw thanks for lovely comments and link - bay garnett is such a cool chick xxxx

Brooklynfluff said...

This is so interesting, editors don't share their story from the beginning enough. I'm an intern at Teen Vogue right now and have no clue how anyone got where there are, well accept for Taylor Tomasi now!

Mon Chér said...

I love her hair.
Thank-you for posting this, it's very satisfying reading.
x

Emma Lavelle said...

She is amazing! I enjoyed reading the insight into her job
xx

Iñaki said...

That outfit is very styling. I don't think I've seen lace being used in such a fresh way since it became a trend!

xx

Anonymous said...

Some great advice there...loved your 2009 to do list by the way! With you on creating own trends....

LOVE AESTHETICS said...

her job sounds like a dream... great little interview, just the things I hoped to read

kirsty lee said...

i love taylor. definitely one of my favourites.

jessica said...

oooh, dreamjob dreamjob .

x

yanqin said...

She's wonderfully chic and cool, and her advice is smart and level-headed.

Meghan and Lana said...

this lady totally kills it in my books. she always seems to be spot on. a typical day is 15 - 20 appointments a day and choosing 200-300 accessories ? sooo much respect.
<3
meg

Ella Gregory said...

She is so cool. I have to admit I do love Teen Vogue, even though it is terribly cheesy and so 'NO SEX, NO DRINKING, DO YOUR HOMEWORK' there is a very happy feel to it.

And I agree Kate B is blah, there isn't really a lot to her at all. I think the only film I have seen her in is Serendipity.

x x x x

Four Letter Words said...

Oh, how I adore red hair!!

This lady is cool as...

BEATRICE said...

Style Stalker is a new web series from Who What Wear and we are currently seeking a young, energetic, and fashionable female host. Please let your readers know! Attached is a promotional unit you can post on your site as well as a video about the search. Readers can go to www.yourepresent.com/whowhatwear to learn more.

ellastica said...

she reminds me of a younger, more self-consciously dressed Anne Christensen.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

She's rocking my socks.

Cara said...

Awesome advice. I also <3 that dress she's wearing. the bottom is so intricate and lace-like!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.