Monday, January 19, 2009

how to be cool in 2009

Ah, 2009. Here we stand with the year stretched ahead of us. Whatever it holds it seems like rather a significant 345 days, with Obama a few hours away from Office and a lovely unpredictable financial market. As we leave the noughties and enter into the 2010s, how will fashion evolve? Which variables will swing our style, and into which direction? They're all interesting questions, but for now, let us forget about this for a moment, with a tongue in cheek guide of How To Be Cool in 2009. Of course skipping this post would technically make you cool. But it would also make you a spoil sport and a teensy bit egotistic, so maybe you ought to read it just to be sure.

CREATE YOUR OWN TRENDS

What do you do when confronted with the reality of a SS09 worth of catwalks lacking of any dominant or remarkable trends? Why, you "feel" out your own. Look to people on the streets, current cinema, or even, as I have look to Americans circa 1930, on the cusp of the depression. It may seem, just that, depressing, but from a historical point of view, it's most interesting. Take some of your favourite pieces from the wardrobe, using these as a good base and work around, adding the elements that you loved from the spring collections, to create a tailor made collection of 2009, just for yourself.


WATCH THE INAUGURATION
No matter how late you have to stay up (or early, we're an international community here..) you'll know that you saw the moment when Barack Obama became President. And you'll always remember it.

DEVELOP OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER
This is not OCD of the handwashing variety. This is OCD of the "obsessively work your way through the Top 100 Book List" variety. Or watch every film starring your favourite actor. Either way, frostbite threatening temperatures (for Brits, Canadians and all other winter sufferers) and/or frozen financial funds keeping you indoors, an addiction must be allowed to develop.

BROADEN YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF NEW DESIGNERS

I'm as impartial to Alexander Wang as the next person. But with rips and holes, over-zipper-exposure and supersexy leather becoming a bit of an urban uniform, I'm keen to find out who else is out there in the way of young talent. Start with Gar-De and Maria Francesca Pepe for long Calvin Klein-esque dress silhouettes, a good contender for the basic of 2009.

DATE SOMEBODY OLDER
With a beard.

EMBRACE DENIAL

Stop talking about the world's monetary woes and economic climate. Infact discuss the old climate of choice if you're stuck for small talk. Ah, remember the good old days when we disected overcast skies in depth rather than plummeting interest rates? If you must insist on panicking (it's boring) then please do it in your head.


DON'T DECLARE TEA DRINKING AS A HOBBY..


..as if you're the first person to have done this.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was cute :)

Anonymous said...

i for one hate tea drinking.
ace tips!
x

M. R. P. M. said...

I know!! when did tea drinking become this insanly cool "past time" Eating is not counted as a hobby so why is tea!!

Anonymous said...

This was adorable!
Tea really is trendy now, I don't really understand the phenomenon.... OBVIOUSLY everyone just wants to be a glorious british stereotype >_<

jessica said...

hah, i'm guilty of the tea one .
but more like, coffeeteastarbucks .
i actually love it .
it makes me happier, i think !
and plus i have body heat issues, so it keeps me warm ;]

oh, and date somebody older ? check that off the list !

& i love those white dresses ..


x

lydia said...

haha, this post is just perfect. unfortunately i can't watch the inauguration because i have a class during it (which i am very mad about). i want to date someone older with a beard!! that has always been my life goal hahaha. weird, i know.

India said...

such a cute post, lovely inspirational tips. I'm so ecited for the inauguration, only eleven and a half hours to go!!
x
oh and is drinking tea cool?? am i cool??! x

Denise : NYLON 87 said...

Hello!
This is my first visit here.
And I luv your blog!
Very high fashion, very chic~!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I like the OCD idea. Just going all out in passions with reckless abandon and frightening single-mindedness...

A. said...

only you could come up with such a fabulous & witty post!

im up for the ocd, although im pretty sure i qualify for that already with two main subjects constantly taking over my brain, oops.

& date someone older is definitelydefinitely on my list pour 09

& the tea thing, well, thats just a given.

loveyouloveyou!

x

lux said...

ahhh i love your posts! you obviously put a lot of time and thought into them and they turn out brilliant. haha i really enjoyed the ocd one... i'm on a mission to complete an absurd amount of books this year..

Ellie Lee said...

Love your list! And ONE thing which I'm gna do a couple of hrs from now would be to watch the inauguration!

this wheel's on fire said...

today's the day! :)

Aisha said...

I'd feel so nervous to be in Obama's shoes, people expect so much from the new president of the states.

louise said...

haha fab post, i like the date someone older with a beard one - i'm sure it would make my older beardy boyfriend laugh to think he makes me cool!

sex.kitten said...

Love this post!! I think we should create new trends!!

XOXO

What is Reality Anyway? said...

totally agree x

Brooklynfluff said...

What a witty list, I am going to enforce the economy one, that's just perfect! Just found your blog and I love it btw

kathymlee said...

funny :)
especially the tea thing...we ALL love tea, you are not unique, just no telling some people huh! haha x

Anonymous said...

that was a great post=)

Anonymous said...

love lara stone


www.balmainbazaar.blogspot.com

Maryli said...

great list! i esp. like "embrace denial." i'm tired of having to talk about despair all the time.

Miss at la Playa said...

I love all of these resolutions! They are très original :)

Meghan and Lana said...

I think a man has to have a beard to be attractive.

Just saying.

L

Anonymous said...

I like that list. =) But I`m also guilty of the tea one... I havent declared it as a hobby, but its one of my interests on facebook... not much better though. But I`m gonna stick to it as I still find it better than saying their hobbies are `music, sport, reading`.
And I also wanted to say thank you for the Christmas mixtape! Love it! I really liked the idea of the mixtape as a virtual Christmas gift. Especially as I hardly get any mixtapes... I am normally the one making them. So now I got a mixtape =), just from someone I dont know. =) And yeah, I did some silly dancing to it on NYE!

filthy lust said...

HAHA to tea drinking!!

- said...

I love tes drinking! for a none british person, it's a hobby! for british is a lifestyle! hahah

young-shields said...

this is such an incredibly good post...and i completely missed it! that tea-drinking thing is so true aswell

brill! y-s x

Anonymous said...

very good advice, hope you don't mind but i've added a link to this post on my blog!

Shannon King said...

I'm halfway there to being cool. Haha Great post & blog!

xo Shannon

Anonymous said...

i loved reading this, it is comical but full of information
im laying in bed and I've just come upon your blog.

ps. my boyfriend is older with a beard. how funny