Monday, January 26, 2009

hip hip hooray

When the Katie Holmes for Miu Miu ads were revealed and quickly met with little sighs of disappointment, the Pamela Anderson for Vivienne Westwood campaign remained the light at the end of the spring advertisement tunnel. a glimmer of hope sparkled, as surely such a pairing, along with juergen teller as photographer could be executed in an imaginative and humorous way..

When the first of the photographs (see the third here) hit the internet this morning, I thought it had all gone a bit, ahem, tits up. i wanted to see Pamela looking cutely trashy. maybe in a gushing pink dress with one of her tits out on a sofa in a trailer park (that's the setting we were promised after all) surrounded by cheeto packets. and what stared back at me was pam on, rather predictably, a beach, with the boring outfit taking a backseat to her boobs.

But hoorah, the other adverts have saved what i thought was a shattered dream (forgive the X Factor contestant style metaphors) with her prancing beside Mr and Mrs Westwood; what a twist that Vivienne herself is featured! Juergen Teller's photography, now instantly recognised (or just associated) for it's "marc jacobs haze" tones down the deliciously bright orange colour palette that is Pamela's life and makes it all the more high fashion.
Take one unfashiony type star, add some trashy imagery and the forgiving arty focus of a hazy camera and hey presto, one top notch advertisement is the result!
pam-anderson-vivienne-westw.jpg
pamela-anderson-vivienne-we.jpg
refinery29

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have an affinity for mr. teller's work and this continues that obviously undying love for him...and now i have a rekindled love of pamela. she's rarely bothered me and i find her terribly fascinating. i am on tiptoes waiting for a publication containing these images, so i can tear it out and stick it on my trailer's interior wall. i kid. but serious.

Make Do Style said...

I love this campaign - such a change to go against the grain. Thanks for sourcing these.

Anonymous said...

I like the final image the most, so trashtastic! All in all at least Viv's trying something different and having a laugh. xx

May Kasahara said...

oh I hadn't seen these. effin LOVE ♥ amazing

dancing tallulah said...

They are just great! I love them. Hopefully i'll find them in hard copy somewhere

Fashion Tidbits said...

hurray! it's gotten loads better! i love it!

style-magnet said...

Hahahah I had no idea Pam was set to do this campaign. I kind of love it.

A. said...

oh i do love me some westwood, & i love the concept of these i just cant seem to get over whos "starring" on them.

she doesnt do it for me, i cant get past that tacky, trashy image.

but, kudos to vivienne for not enlisting another boring celebrity (ahem katie holmes) & going for the unexpected.

i still wish the job would have been given to roisin, though...that would have been so amazing.

x

Chantelle said...

woaa *roar

Boré said...

david la chapelle-ish

Charlotte said...

I love the campaign, it is so Vivianne's

Anonymous said...

it's trashy and it reminds me a little bit seventies fotos...i love it because viviene westwood is there and no pamela can't handle this...also love the punk twist that was given to a cheesy malibu scenary...

Ella Gregory said...

I love all four of the ads. I kind of want to frame them. Viv is so clever!

Siru said...

Oh my gosh!

juliet xxx

Meghan and Lana said...

Holy moly those are some boobs!


I bet they float.

Quail said...

The campaign totally works in that it is totally unexpected.

Anonymous said...

EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW NOOOOO

Anna Pope said...

I personally love the campaign. It's unexpected and that's what makes it pop amidst all other campaigns!