Wednesday, October 22, 2008

in the name of fashion


i was having a little read of young shields, the blog of the lovely claire and found myself having a sympathetic giggle at the comments she got at school about her fantastic diy ripped jeans. i'm sure most of you (as you're such a stylish bunch..) have also received many a "witty", or not so witty reference to your clothes before; the type that make you shake your head in a vaguely amused way and say "well done guys.." and i thought it would be cool to share some of the tales.

so, i'll start. on friday, i wore my wet look leggings and got




what's funny is that it is usually guys (those two examples varied from the age of 17 to about 60) with a cheekily knowing piss-take tone in their voice, who think they have said something hugely original and proceed to crack themselves up laughing, even when you've heard the exact same comment twice already. it's actually pretty funny! just as long as what they're saying is appropriately witty and intelligent as fashion will allow!

big hugs to hannah metz who created these gorgeous little illustrations for this post. if this is your cup of tea, be sure to check out her blog for more lovliness.. and the snaps of her house because it's the coolest ever.

17 comments:

Stefanie said...

hahahaha, I must admit I totally cracked up at "Are you wearing those for medical reasons?"
hahaha ok I still might be laughing.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I adore the little editorials.
People aren't so clever. A truly clever person would be wise to just keep their mouth shut and admire the touch of originality your outfits brought to their day...

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan and Lana said...

i wore a bowler hat to a party the other night and people wouldn't stop taking it off my head because they thought it was so weird. . . actually most people liked it, but still thought it was totally bizarre. seriously, has no one ever seen cabaret??

young-shields said...

those illustrations are lovely!

well one day we can live in london and wear whatever we want without small-town comments!

young-shields xxx

SICK. said...

haha i can completely relate;
i wore my homemade bleached/shredded jeans yesterday.
"one word: homeless"
"everytime you wear those they lose more and more fabric"
"did you go rolling around in the mud?" (i didn't understand this comment, has mud suddenly gotten sharp and dangerous ?)

it's even WORSE with my diy rodarte tights and my lace tights.
whore and homeless are the two most common comments.

ps; i got your package today !! IT'S AMAZING. thank you sosososo much :] i love the mix cd, and i was happy to see white denim on there .
thanks again ♥


x
jessica

Abby said...

Those illustrations are great. I will check her blog for sure.

I wore a hippy style headband to work the other day, and was ridiculed by just about everyone in the building!

One girl was even rude enough to say to me "What the F*** happened to your head! Are you going to play tennis or something?" and just stared at me meanly for ages.

It was nice of her.

hannah-rose said...

i've worn loafers to school before and i've gotten 'how old are you?' and 'my grandma has a pair of shoes just like that.' complete with sneer, to which i responded, 'thanks!' with a bright smile which shut them up.

ah silly people.

whole in. said...

every time i'm in the presence of my
dad and i'm wearing a scarf/beanie.
i get the 'what's wrong with your head? do you have a headache?' NO!

Aishah said...

love your illustrations and your writing. witty and funny. kudos!

Anonymous said...

Boys are definitely the worst. My 17-year-old brother especially. That's the problem with growing up in a small town. Quite often, any sort of originality is stifled.

Miss at la Playa said...

once I wore a keffiyah very similar to the old Balenciaga ones, and someone told me: "Why are you wearing a tablecloth?"...
¬¬

Lana said...

Haha, how original those goys are NOT :P. But very recognizeable!

Anonymous said...

The "is that a wet suit comment" is totally what i said...shame on me and you for that matter

poeta fit, non nascitur said...

hahaha! this cracked me up. i get comments like that sometimes. Once, the boyfriend of my friend looked me over and teased me that fashion is merely to attract attention. sigh. some people can't understand fashion.

Anonymous said...

I've had anything from 'Are you off to a circus?' to 'Those are like S&M boots right?'... but then they back up their comments with 'Oh but I like your outfit...' with a sort of sniggering tone....

hannah and landon said...

hehe, my husband gets comments like "is that a dude or a chick?".

xox