Sunday, July 27, 2008

the knapsack part two



the last post sparked a mixed reaction and some interesting comments, and I felt that it needed a part two so that I could realy clarify the look that I had in my mind, involving the knapsack.. as much for myself as for anyone else!


the whole point is of taking a look than is seen as being "uncool" or outdated and flipping it on it's head. this kind of experimentation is what makes clothes and style so exciting, and keeps everyone on their toes. where would we be without the girls who step out in shiny leather granny loafers or baseball caps, pieces that cause people to stick their noses up and then realise that actually, worn with that dress is ratherfucking genius.

this knapsack isn't to be worn at school, (well, who's to say it's not, but I wanted to steer clear from that stereotype) it's to be worn in the vein of erin wasson, or the kickass girl from goldfrapp's caravan girl video. on hazy days in the summer holidays when a leathery handbag sticks to your arms. with tanned legs, sandals and needs-to-be-washed hair.

naturally the leather knapsack has that geeky stigma; it evokes those 'desperate-to-fit-in-complexs' that the majority of us held onto (or still do; it gets better, i promise) in our school years, and so the idea of finally embracing such a symbol of "loser-ness" seems a little alien. be brave!

9 comments:

The Observist said...

I loved the other post, not sure if I got the chanc to comment, but I love the idea of wearing the backpack. I have one shoved in one of my drawers, just waiting to see a festival and a pretty dress!

xx
www.sheshakesinwonderland.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of being a bit rebellious with the knapsack, but I'm not probably going to don one

Irene (capuccinobar) said...

I'm thinking about looking for one, and see what happens (If I like it or not)

lara said...

I kind of like them , but I think th should be used as a change in the rest of your style, then knapsacks can look really cool...

Robin said...

I liked them ,and the knapsacks can look great

emsie said...

Really like the collage. I'm now visualising outfits involving knapsacks. Perhaps with a floral dress or something...

A. said...

yay for the frapp mention ;]

im loving these knapsacks loads more. i just cant get my head around a backpacky looking bag. too many nightmares of elementary school, im sure.

fab collage as well.

x

Stefanie said...

great post, very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

You're on to something! I like the slouchy ones, rather than the school-kid ones, and I think only one shoulder strap might be the way to go too