Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Right Edge

I'm a little suspicious of people who don't like Rachel Bilson.

Because what I find appealing about her is, yes, she is cute. But not in an Anne Hathaway kind of way; (which is less aw! and more yawn!) she has more edge than that without taking it to the Rachel Evan Wood extreme, or even posessing a Girl Next Door aura.
She just is what she is, and not much more than that can be said.

Those last two covers she appeared on (The cringey GQ, which, yes, frankly, did leave her looking a little Rachel Evan Wood-ish) and then the sickly Lucky cover, looking all Hollywood and innocent, as if it was naively trying to counter balance the mens magazine cover and shield the eyes of readers who may have spied the (actually, not exactly damaging) images.

The reason I bitch about these covers (blame the art director, please, not Rachel), is because Nylon has conquered the perfect middle ground (but pfft, what do I know, I'm just the target audience!)

One of the things that I always love about Nylon is that, even if they pick a cover star who, gasp, isn't an anti star or some hipster but who in fact also graces covers of candy coated magazines, they still manage to perfectly pin down and yet exaggerate the recreate the side of the star that we wish to see. It's certainly true that many of the faces gracing the glossy front page these days are about as mainstream as those on ELLE.
Richie, Lohan, Christina, Olsens, Sienna have all popped up over the last year, but with bashed in anglo doc martins, checkered jeans, string vests and ethereal-grunge hybrid dresses, they all looked suitable un-themselves.

This is why the picture (from the website) showing Bilson in a lycra vest and spangly skirt with bedhair and boa works so perfectly for me.

I sense the sychronised pricking of ears as you lot wait to hear the March issue crash land into your mail/letter box? Yay or Ney.
Having said all that, actually much prefer the snaps inside the magazine..



now playing: handjobs for the holidays by broken social scene.

32 comments:

WendyB said...

I'm indifferent to her. But if she wore some WendyB jewelry, I'm sure I would be awed at her good taste, beauty, intelligence and talent.

Hailey said...

I like her too, def very adorable! I have to go get that mag, now!

Aretha said...

Nothing special to me, too good girl I think hahaa
She's cute, I can give you that

mej said...

I wish we had Nylon from where I'm from. boo. Adorable girl, adorable style of course, only Rachel Bilson. I hope you don't mind if I use your pics. I link them to your site though.

http://fashiolution.com/

we could grow up together said...

what happend to her after the O.C.?

Taylor said...

I can't wait to recieve that issue in the mail soon! :) Yes, I can see what your saying; she's very cute but with that little vixen edge?

Unrealized Fish said...

Hey, oh, I like your blog!

Cool Urbanite. said...

Went to Jumper yesterday. Good movie, and to see the love couple in action, even better!

But like her on the cover.

coco said...

I know what you mean about her she is cute like Anne H, but she looks like she would maybe have a naughtier side than Anne
I think she is a bit girl nexy door like though, although I don't think that is a bad thing
I would rather be girl next door than the crack head next door (aka winehouse)
x x x x x

susie_bubble said...

I definitely think the Nylon cover shows Rachel as herself....as opposed to something that is played up and cliched...

The Clothes Horse said...

I like here and I'm excited. They did do a good job of capturing her essence and style.

LML said...

hmm.. i was suprised when i heard she was on the cover, but i like her style, not totally inspiring but not boring either. cant wait to get the issue in the mail :)

riz said...

i love RB, and I agree that the Lucky cover was terrible. Their covers do not live up to the content of the magazine. I mean to say it's not like they are avant-garde, but they cover better content than say Glamour or Cosmopolitan. Their covers should start to reflect that...

Anika said...

I think she's adorable and her style is definitely better than Mischa's recently, but isn't it a little random to put her on the cover now? Or is she up to anything?

jayne said...

hmm i'm mixed on her. she's not a nontalent screwup like mischa, but she's not overly talented- she always plays the same flirty cute, but ditzy girl in movies. she has a great true sense of style and good taste in men though. the shoot itself is only ok in my opinion, nothing too riveting

Héloïse J. said...

wow! i luv the analysis-really wonderful way of writing. :) BUT you should be suspicious of me (though i don't know why you say that!) she's so yaaaawn for me +can't stand the thrillion covers she did all over the past months. "She just is what she is, and not much more than that can be said." exactly.for me that's it. no depth. just a cutie 'californian sweetheart' .. BLAH* :/

deexdeexdreamer said...

yay yay (sounds kinda like im sayin 'ya ya!' but we won't go there cos im not a slightly frothy old-timer)!

eugh when is it coming out again? i swear the kills issue just touched base a week ago :(

ahh well ur ahead of the times Stevie :P

Secretista said...

LOL Wendy B.

I never hated nor liked her. All I can say about her is, she's cute and trendy.

a. said...

oh, i know! & hot chip too! i've wanted that issue since i first found out chloe would be on the cover back in january.

thanks to you, i am also obsessed ;]

ps. you live near bath?! you have no idea how jealous i am of you. i dream of owning a cottage there. in the countryside.

x

emsie said...

i love rachel bilson
maybe because of my love of the oc
but i just really like her

i'm going to try and get my hands on this issue

iñaki said...

Are there people who don't love Rachel?
Surely, they're not humans.

xx

Daphné said...

I really like her, the word "cute" seems to have been made for her!

Wendy said...

I really like her sense of style but her acting isn't that outstanding.

Cordie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cordie said...

completly agree, while i actually did love the GQ mag cover, and thought it was playful and 'cute' [i guess] the lucky cover was just terrible. she was o the cover of seventeen to which was, well, as good as a seventeen cover can get. but nylon completly captured what rachel bilson embodies, which cant be described-cute, flirty, quirky, and just her. i cannot wait to buy it

SHE♥FAHSHUN said...

Ah! How could someone dislike RB? She's wayy better off than Mischa, and, I think, more memorabale in the fashion department..

The Vom Squad said...

Your blog is perfect for The Vom Squad.

http://vomsquad.blogspot.com

punky said...

She has been my favorte cleb of the last few years and i dont even watch the oc

SICK. said...

i cannot wait until that issue !
i'd even buy it :]

x.
jessica

Rumi said...

Yeah Anne H is such a snore, I never got the appeal to her.

Agree on Nylon's styling, always fun and somewhat based on the individual but taken to another, perhaps more hipsterish (but in a good way) level. Plus free subscription from Urbn = yay!

Ediot said...

oh ann hathaway. just boring. i dont find any carisma what so ever in her. but rachel bilson. cute in a sophisticated way.

Kool Thing said...

Ha! I don't believe it. Everyone has a Luella dress but me.