Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I have a fully formed character, then I break it down."


Fancy a peek into Luella Bartley's LFW diary?..

The best moment for me was seeing the first look for my show come together-the hair and the make-up was done, the shoes and the bags were there and suddenly, I saw the character, I was like, "Oh, yes! It's brilliant!" At the beginning of the season, I have a fully formed character, then I break it down into fabrics or whatever. At the end the doll comes alive again-that's always the most exciting bit.

You do end up staying up all night preparing, but there weren't any real hardships this season-although the shoes were very tricky. When we were doing all our fittings, everone was tripping over. Luckily, when push came to shove, the models were very professional. I was literally imprisoned in my studio with the same people for five days. It was quite surreal. I didn't go to many parties-you can't party like you want to because you are so focused. I feel so boring, single-mindedly thinking about a look. And I didn't go to any of the other shows because it can be intimidating. I've learnt not to compare. It's safer just to do your own thing and not be involved in the fashion thing.

An hour or so after the show, I felt normal and part of the real world again. I was so desperate for the show to be over,but now I miss it; it's quite anti-climatic. I went to a karaoke bar to celebrate-nothing glamorous. Last year, I had a big party at Claridge's and it was nice not to have to perform again. You have to become a personality and it can get a bit much.

Seeing the reviews is hard-I've just stopped feeling nervous and then it all starts again. I'm going back to the countryside to chill out with my kids. I won't look until I feel strong enough. Denial is always best for me.

from Mary Meyer's "Backstage Pass" article from The Sunday Times Style Magazine, 24th Feb. http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article3386581.ece
now playing: don't let him waste your time by Jarvis Cocker

21 comments:

Courtly Love said...

She's amazing. I love that she went to a karaoke bar to celebrate. Thanks for sharing this!

riz said...

She stays true to her rockabilly sensibility. She is very modest and I like her personality as a designer. Corrnie Bailey Rae in teh blue Luella was great at the Grammy's btw.

Héloïse J. said...

i luv this designer. she seems really down to earth and esp the last 2 seasons i adored her collections. she's creating characters and that kind of pure creation is rather rare on the runway.
*great post :D

Anonymous said...

She seems like such a fun character to work with... taking everything not too seriously but having everything under control at the same time..

María said...

Very interesting. I like when she says she doesn't look at other shows. In the end you can see that, her collections are very personal, very true to what she's been doing along her career.

Mariël. said...

Aw, Ialso like Luella. She's growing up!
respect for your pics. you make them wonderfull, especialy the header [L]

fashion-goeroe.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Ooh, interesting insight into Luella's world. I wonder what her favourite Karaoke tune would be..

Anonymous said...

i love the witchy look she has going on!! I just looked at these pics on LFW website yesterday... So CUTE!!

Mash said...

I m not a big fan of this collection :(

Susana Rodrigues said...

I love her! First I think she is a great designer and second she seems to be very cool :)

Lana said...

How cool, but also freakin hard work! I'm reading Fashion Babylon right now and it's almost the same thing.
But great to have a peek in her hectic designer life.

Miss at la Playa said...

she looks very down to earth.

Mónica said...

I think she is very modest, I like people who are as successful as her, and still continue being humble. I guess her personality must be very interesting, not only as a designer.

emsie said...

i loved luella as usual
amazing

x

Tinsley said...

thanks for posting - so interesting to read!
i wish all designers posted things such as this!

Anonymous said...

i adore luella, definitely one of my top designers, and even more so now because she seems so down to earth! at first i wasnt' too big of a fan of the A/W 08 looks, but that black and orange dress is awesome

btw jarvis cocker is fantastic, good choice :)

A. said...

wowie thanks for posting! i love luella.

x

maverickandlove said...

i love the luella look, ive been following the line for a while now and each season i get more amazed!

Charlotte said...

I haven't seen the Luella collection before reading your blog. Where is this design from?
I make me remember the film Edward Scissorhands in a good way!

lee jones said...

so interesting!

your blog is the bee's knees

seriously fab.


LOVE

Kool Thing said...

Luella Bartley for me, is like an even-cooler Betsey Johnson. She has a bit more edge to her designs but they are still so beautiful and feminine. I reckon a Luella dress would complete me!